Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Following in Ginny's footsteps..."My Competition Diet"

I recently attended a seminar in Florida that had a portion about foods and healthy eating. It's amazing to learn what actually goes into processing foods that we then put into our mouths to fuel our bodies. Everyone hears and knows the essentials...4 servings of fruits and vegetables, 8 glasses of water, etc. But has anyone actually looked into if that is accurate? Is it true for everyone? For example, 8 glasses of water each day -- that's 64 ounces. For someone who is 120 to 125 pounds, this is accurate, but what about someone who is 190 pounds? Good rule of thumb... body weight #/2 = ounces to drink each day. (200 pounds/2 - 100 ounces).

It's important to first know what your nutritional goals are. Then, do your research! When you read something, ask yourself, does this make sense? Is it useful for me? By doing so, you will be able to make a sound decision on which pieces of vital information you can utilize in your daily routines. Everything in moderation, and of course, remember to save yourself a "cheat" time so that you don't get crazy cravings for foods you love (like chocolate cake!!).

For me, my goal is to have more energy without giving up my favorites. For me, following a low acid, high alkaline nutrition plan was the way to go. By making minor changes to my specific food choices, I was able to swap out alternatives so that I can still enjoy the foods I like without as much acidic foods that can have a negative impact on your overall health. For example, I eat spelt pasta or rice pasta instead of regular pasta, and almond butter instead of peanut butter.

So here is a one day of food for me...

Breakfast: Oatmeal, with a touch of honey (or sometimes brown sugar for special occassions)
Snack: Apple, orange, or grapes
Lunch: Veggie Wrap -- spinach wrap with hummus, spinach, avocado slices, cucumbers, tomato slices, and brussel sprouts.
Snack: Cucumber with apple cidar vinegar or hummus for dipping.
Dinner: Eggplant parm -- sliced eggplant dipped in banana and flaxmeal*, sauteed in olive oil, placed in a baking dish, covered with diced tomatoes and oregano/basil, topped with rice cheese and baked. Rice pasta on the side. (*Banana and flaxmeal replace the egg and bread crumbs)
Dessert: whole wheat wrap, almond butter, and a banana...yummy!! :)


I have several meals I make (eggplant, tilapia, rice, pasta salad, spaghetti, mac and cheese) that all use cleaner food choices, and there are always leftovers. My energy level has sky rocketed, my skin is always clear, my hair and nails are stronger, and I feel stronger. It's been wonderful!! :)

SIDE NOTE: For those of you who know me, I still LOVE LOVE LOVE macaroni and cheese, and it is the hardest thing in the world for me to give up. So....I do eat it with my son about once a week...it's my cheat day! lol

Some simple things I now eat that are easy replacements for your current food choices...no extra steps, no major changes or giving up your favorites, just cleaner choices:
  • almond butter or soynut butter (replaces peanut butter)
  • spelt or rice pasta (replaces regular pasta)
  • at least one cucumber a day
  • broccoli every day
  • apple cidar vinegar (replaces any other vinegar)...use on salads with olive oil.
  • rice cheese
  • plain oatmeal
  • water, water, water!! with lemon!! :)

So....who wants to know more? Email me! :) I challenge everyone I know to try it 100% for 30 days, and see what it can do for you!!!

Until next time....

VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment