Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The shoe fiasco!!!!

Okay -- so I was in desperate need of new shoes going into the national pageant! The clear princess shoes I have used for the last few years have finally seen their last day! They are no longer comfortable, the rhinestones are falling off, and my ankles swell like potatoes when I wear them!! I could probably stand them for one more, but I thought...new shoes, what a better excuse! And besides, nationals will probably only happen once for me, if for no other reason that I don't think I have the patience for 13 more years of pageants before I have another state title! lol

"Piece of cake!" I thought to myself! Between department stores, and shoe specialty stores like DSW, and bridal salons, I'll be able to find shoes no problem!!

YEAH RIGHT!!!!

I'd find the color but not a high enough heel, or I'd find the heel height but not the right color. Then, I get lucky enough to find the right color and the right heel, but it doesn't come in my size!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Someone (namely, Ellie, former Mrs. Delaware) suggested I try pageantresale.com. So I do, and low and behold, shoes galore!! Now of course, with anything previously owned obviously you have to wait until you are lucky enough to have someone who is your size sell what they don't want. AH HA!! I'm THAT lucky!! The ad reads...."Size 8, 4 inch strappy sandal in taupe. Perfect for swimsuit, or anything. Only worm once, EXCELLENT like new condition. $40 or best offer."

WOO HOO!!! I email....and they are still available!! I'LL TAKE THEM!!!

I anxiously wait, and check the mail every day. In a weeks time, what arrives on my doorstep priority mail? THE SHOES!!! I'm so excited, that I rip into the packet almost tearing the box lid with it, and I pull out the like new taupe colored size 8, 4 inch heel!! I am in total AWWW. I put them on.....what?? You have to be kidding me???? THEY'RE TOO FREAKING BIG!!!!!

My dilemna -- I am a size 8. Actually, sneakers I wear an 8 1/2 (my foot expanded a half size when I was pregnant with my son). But I have a very narrow foot, so when it comes to dress shoes and heels, especially strappy heels, sometimes I need a 7 1/2. That would be the case with this shoes. So, do I try desperately to find a replacement or try to make this lovely perfect shoe work for me??

Well, after some facebook replies to my "how-to-make-a-shoe-fit" inquiry, I am happy to report that after doctoring the shoes with Dr. Scholl's for the ball of the foot, inspirational Sole Expressions in leopard print, and double sided tape to reduce friction on the strap...THEY FIT!!!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! I have a shoe for the swimsuit competition!!! YES!!

Until Next Time....

VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment